The site of a disused Tube station in Knightsbridge has been sold to an unknown buyer for £50m.
The site at 206 Brompton Road is a stone’s throw away from Harrods and is expected to be turned into apartments.
The station housed Winston Churchill’s anti-aircraft operations during World War II and Adolf Hitler’s deputy Rudolf Hess was reportedly interrogated here.
Brompton Road Tube station opened in 1906 on the Piccadilly Line between South Kensington and Knightsbridge, but closed in 1936 after a fall in passenger numbers.
The site was sold by the Ministry of Defence after it was declared surplus to military requirements. The property was occupied by the London University Air Squadron, the London University Royal Naval Unit, and 46F Squadron Air Training Corps (Air cadets), all of which have been found alternative accommodation.
The site is located next to the Grade II* listed Brompton Oratory, Brompton Square.
Facilities at the property include a drill hall, garages, offices and mess, but the site also includes below-ground areas previously used as part of the former Brompton Road Underground station.