Labour Councillors in Westminster have launched a guide to some of the best of Westminster’s independent restaurants as part of plans to support local businesses. Councillors have compiled a list of some of their favourite local restaurants in the hope that residents will enjoy them, too, and help local businesses to prosper.
In addition, Labour’s Manifesto includes the following pledges;
• We will set up a ‘Job Brokerage’ scheme which will help local people access local jobs in the public and private sectors.
• We will provide incentives for young people to do well at school by developing partnerships with companies in the Westminster media, arts, retail and hospitality industries to create real career opportunities through apprenticeships, work experience, mentoring, training and recruitment initiatives.
• We will advertise Council vacancies locally. It makes good sense for the Council to encourage more local people to apply for jobs with the Council and other public sector employers.
• We will create more opportunities for local people to find jobs with the Council and other public sector bodies in Westminster, through work experience and training opportunities
• We will encourage and assist not-for-profit Credit Unions to set up across Westminster so that they can provide value-for-money credit and advice on personal debt-management
• We will pay at least the London Living Wage to all Council staff and require all our contractors to do so as a contractual requirement.
• We will review parking regulations outside shopping parades so that shoppers and traders are not penalised for minor infringements of the parking regulations.
• We will introduce a ‘Resident Roamer’ scheme to all those with a residents parking permit to park in any residents’ bay for free between 11am and 3pm. This will be good for local businesses and local High Streets as residents, carers and others around during the day can support the local economy by going shopping / out for lunch etc.
Councillor Paul Dimoldenberg, Leader of the Labour Group, said;
“A strong local economy is essential for local residents. We will give real assistance to local businesses so that they can prosper and take on more staff. We will help local residents get in to jobs in the West End so that they can take advantage of the wide range of career opportunities being created in many of Westminster’s world class businesses”
“As part of Labour’s plans to support local businesses in Westminster, we have compiled a list of some of our favourite local restaurants in the hope that residents will enjoy them, too, and help our local businesses to prosper. There are so many great independent places to eat in Westminster, offering fantastic food, good value, great service and an opportunity to support local businesses”
A copy of the Westminster Restaurant guide is here Westminster restaurants