Labour Councillors are supporting a campaign which is urging Westminster residents to look out for one another as part of a national campaign to stop rogue traders.
The campaign encourages residents to protect their neighbours from doorstep crime; when rogue traders convince vulnerable people to have unnecessary repair work done, overcharge them or provide shoddy or incomplete work.
Signs of unwanted doorstep traders cold calling your neighbours include building or maintenance work starting unexpectedly, visibly poor quality work and unmarked vans. Your neighbour may be anxious or distressed, and visit the bank, building society or post office more often.
Some ways you can help:
• ask your neighbour privately if things are OK
• if they think they are a victim of doorstep crime suggest calling a relative or carer on their behalf
• note any vehicle registration numbers
• keep hold of any flyers that come through the door
• if you suspect a crime contact the Westminster Trading Standards Team on 020 7641 1111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• if the situation with the trader becomes volatile call the police.
For more information visit http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/events/Forconsumers.cfm