Labour Councillors are supporting parents who are campaigning to keep open the Essendine play centre.
“The Essendine stay and play facilities should remain open to everyone for the following reasons:
1. Essendine performs a vital social and community support function bringing people together from across the spectrum to share their experiences and help each other. Removing this local service for families in the newborn to 2 years will leave people, and new mothers in particular, vulnerable.
2. The need for support and help is not just a function of income. The need for support and help is also based on your ability to cope with a young child. Many parents in the Maida Vale area do not have any local family support.
3. Having a child shrinks your world. Just getting out of the house can be a challenge in itself, so services need to be easily accessible, not a mile away.
4. Health visitors alone can’t perform this vital social and community support function. They don’t have the time or resources as their services are already over stretched.
5. If Essendine stay and play facility is closed, where will people go if the other centres are already at capacity? We need safe play space.”
You can find out more at