Councillor Rita Begum has been taking up residents’ concerns about the Lanark Road project and seeking answers to many of the unanswered questions on this project which aims to rebuild the existing community facilities with housing above.
At the Westminster City Council Meeting on 20th January 2016 she asked the Cabinet member for Housing and Regeneration the following questions:
- Would the Cabinet member please comment on the length of time it took to consult on the project and why resident consultation did not take place before deciding the regeneration site?
- Why only one of three Maida Vale ward members was engaged in the drafting of the scheme?
- Have officers yet acted on my proposal to make a site visit and jointly review the proposed design and impact to neighbours in Randolph Avenue?
- Is it common practice to exclude the involvement of Ward Councillors in capital regeneration projects – as in my case it took until mid-October 2015 for me to be even briefed/consulted?
Subsequently Rita has asked the following written questions to the Cabinet member for Housing and Regeneration:
- I would welcome your comments on why I appear to have been kept in the dark about this regeneration project?
- I have had to deal with many residents’ queries and questions regarding the consultation and progress of the proposals. Why was I was not adequately briefed to provide answers?
- In discussions with Randolph Avenue residents it has become clear that inadequate information has been made available to check the height and length of the new building. Why is this?
- The design impacts on lighting to the windows of adjoining basement flats does not appear to have been fully recognised by the architects and deserves a reconsideration before the Planning Committee are asked to consider the plan. What can you do to assist in any reconsideration?
- What communications and consultation work was carried out to establish what regeneration project was appropriate for the site in Lanark Road and whether the scale of the project was appropriate before launching it for consultation?
- Dolphin Living are the lead people on the project – when the tender came to Westminster to choose the design were any residents involved in the process?