Labour calls for Council action to protect Westminster residents from damage from EU withdrawal

Westminster’s Labour Councillors are calling on the City Council to protect residents from the negative impact of withdrawal from the European Union following the result of the EU referendum.

Nearly 70% of Westminster residents voted in favour of remaining in the EU, with just over 30% voting to leave.

Labour Councillors have submitted the following motion to be debated at the Council meeting on Wednesday 13th July at Porchester Hall, starting at 7.00pm

“Following from the result of the EU Referendum this Council seeks to ensure that the impact of this has a minimal impact on our residents. To that end we will:

  • Ensure that public services are protected from any further cuts
  • Reassure EU citizens who have chosen to work and live in Westminster of the important contribution they make to our City and their place in our future, noting the important planned work of the Community Cohesion Commission. We are proud to live in a diverse and tolerant society. Racism, xenophobia and hate crimes have no place in our city.  We will ensure council bodies and local groups are supported to fight and prevent any upsurge in racism and xenophobia. 
  • Commit to an ever greater house building programme, particularly for those who cannot meet the financial commitments of existing opportunities.
  • Work with contractors and service providers to develop employment and career opportunities for younger people who live in the City.
  • Support calls for greater devolution of powers to London and local authorities.”

The motion will be moved by Councillor Adam Hug, Labour Group Leader, and seconded by Councillor Paul Dimoldenberg.

This entry was posted in Council cuts, EU Referendum, House building, Labour Councillors, Westminster City Council and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.